Friday, January 25, 2013

Love these two quotes...

...and I think they fit neatly with my last post:

"100 years ago women stopped talking to their daughters about babies and started trusting people that have nothing to do with it."

"Don't let your birth experience be stolen because you were afraid."

-- Dr. Fred Cummings, OB/GYN, addressing the Tarrant County Birth Network meeting on January 24, 2013

So many women are afraid of childbirth. They combat the fear by trusting people that have nothing to do with it. Sometimes, that trust is well-placed. Often, it's not.

I talk to my daughters (and my son) about birth precisely because when it comes time for them (or their partners) to give birth, I don't want them to be afraid. Ultimately, I don't care if they give birth at home or in the hospital, with a midwife or an OB (or even unattended), spontaneously or via induction or via scheduled c-section, with no drugs or with every drug under the sun... as long as their choices are well-informed, and not driven by fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment